Pages

Tuesday, June 30, 2009

LeoTolstoy on Faith

It's funny that I should stumble upon this quotation from "that other" giant of nineteenth century Russian literature, Leo Tolstoy, when I've been immersing myself all summer long in the novels of Fyodor Dostoevsky in preparation for a year-long seminar on his life and work starting this August. All the same, I was struck by Tolstoy's ability to expound upon the perennial and altogether wrenching human struggle of defining the relation between finite faith and an infinite God. This surely does not encapsulate all that can be said on the matter. Still and all, a deeply thought-provoking...um, er...morsel.


Sigh...


SO much to read; SO little time. The list grows from the bottom far faster than it shrinks from the top. Oh well. C'est la vie. As long as it's being engaged, I suppose.


It's third-hand, mind you, so I don't know the original work, date, etc. If I come across these details I'll come back and make some edits.


***


"When the thought occurs to you that what you thought about God is wrong after all, and that there is no God, do not be alarmed. Many feel this way. But do not believe that your unbelief is because there is no God. When you can no longer believe in the God you used to know, it is because there was something wrong with your form of faith and you must try more earnestly to understand whom you call God. When a man stops believing in his wooden God, this does not mean that there is no God. It simply means that the true God is not made of wood.”


- Leo Tolstoy

No comments:

Post a Comment